Subject: RE: SMTP AUTH and sender identification

From: "Luke Galea" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 14:34:07 -0500

The problem is that you can identify yourself as "me" ...  ie.. the smtp
auth username isn't usually a full email address or even necessarily
related. You would probably need another field in your database... 

Luke Galea 
Software Development
BlueCat Networks
905-762-5225

-----Original Message-----
From: Mariano Absatz [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: November 19, 2002 2:17 PM
To: ZMailer list
Subject: SMTP AUTH and sender identification

Hi,

I don't know exactly how ZMailer's SMTP AUTHentication works, but if I 
understand it right, if I authenticate correctly, smptserver allows me
to 
relay and notes my username in the corresponding Received: header... 
similarly to what whoson does.

What I need to do is to force the FROM (at least the envelope from)
based on 
the authentication (be it via SMTP AUTH, or even with whoson).

That is, if I authenticate as [email-masked], it allows me to relay BUT
ONLY 
IF I SAY
MAIL FROM:<[email-masked]>

Is there a way to do that?

TIA.

-
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe zmailer" in
the body of a message to [email-masked]
-
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe zmailer" in
the body of a message to [email-masked]

---

From: "Mariano Absatz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 18:53:25 -0300

> related. You would probably need another field in your database... 
Right, but that's not the point... right now I'm identifying users as 
[email-masked], but anyway, if I HAD the fields
"uid=me;mail=[email-masked]"
what I want to know is if I can restrict the FROM based on the SMTP AUTH (or 
whoson) info...

> understand it right, if I authenticate correctly, smptserver allows me to
> What I need to do is to force the FROM (at least the envelope from) based
> on the authentication (be it via SMTP AUTH, or even with whoson). 
> 
> ONLY IF I SAY

-