Subject: Vacation / aliases question.

From: "Wojtek Sobola" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2002 00:56:34 +0100

Hello.

I've noticed strange behavior of vacation program in version 2.99.55.
Let's see our alias:

Johnie.Walker:        jwalker

If I send email to jwalker@, after vacation is started, I get reply, but if
only message is sent to Johnie.Walker@,
I get no reply. Is this something misconfigured? jwalker is real unix
account. Thisis e-mail to jwalker log (working reply):

Feb 23 00:17:30 tulipan router[924]: S96575AbSBVXRW:
from=<[email-masked]>, rrelay=smtp.acn.pl ([212.76.33.36]:21508 "EHLO
mail.astercity.net"), size=1028, nrcpts=2,
msgid=<000501c1bbf7$56037d30$d041793e@PC>
Feb 23 00:17:31 tulipan mailbox[9229]: S96575AbSBVXRW:
to=<[email-masked]>, delay=00:00:09, xdelay=00:00:00, mailer=local,
stat=ok3 Ok
Feb 23 00:17:31 tulipan mailbox[9230]: S96575AbSBVXRW:
to=<"|/usr/mail/bin/vacation.exe jwalker">, delay=00:00:09, xdelay=00:00:00,
mailer=local, stat=ok3 [Exit Status 0]
Feb 23 00:17:41 tulipan router[924]: S96577AbSBVXRb:
from=<[email-masked]>, rrelay=STDIN (from localhost user: 'jwalker'
uid#539 fake: STDIN ([email-masked])), size=511, nrcpts=1,
msgid=<[email-masked]>
Feb 23 00:17:42 tulipan smtp[9312]: S96577AbSBVXRb:
to=<[email-masked]>, delay=00:00:11, xdelay=00:00:00, mailer=smtp,
relay=mail.xxx.net ([4.3.2.1|25|10.48.32.10|36908]), stat=ok3 ^M->> 250 Ok:
queued as B889D295A4 cvt=NONE

In a case of mail to Johnie.Walker@, log ends after [Exit Status 0], and
there's nothing more.
Is there any cheat ? ;]

Thanks,
Wojciech Sobola
Unix System Engineer
S&T Poland

-
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe zmailer" in
the body of a message to [email-masked]

---

From: Matti Aarnio <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2002 11:07:50 +0200

> account. Thisis e-mail to jwalker log (working reply):

   The behaviour is exactly the same as is the old original BSD vacation.
   It defaults to reply with vacation reply _only_ if it can recognize
   recipient's userid in the incoming message headers (To: and Cc:)

   I think you need to run it as:

          "|/opt/mail/bin/vacation johnie.walter"

   without reading the code thru carefully I can't say if it does
   support multiple identity recognition, or pays attention to the
   domain of the recipient.

   Oh yes, the vacation will also be silent if it has already sent
   a message to given envelope source address within past week.

   See   http://www.zmailer.org/man/vacation.1.html

> In a case of mail to Johnie.Walker@, log ends after [Exit Status 0], and

    Well, that is exactly how it is supposed to work :)

-- 
/Matti Aarnio	<[email-masked]>
-
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe zmailer" in
the body of a message to [email-masked]