Subject: Received: ... for <[email-masked]>...

From: Arnt Gulbrandsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 14:09:20 +0200

Some MUAs, notably Sendmail, write a 'for' clause in the received field 
when a single-recipient message is processed.

Zmailer doesn't (at least not in the versions I have handy now). Is 
there any particular reason for that?

--Arnt
-
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe zmailer" in
the body of a message to [email-masked]

---

From: Matti Aarnio <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 16:50:21 +0300

> there any particular reason for that?

  Primarily that the time when ZMailer is writing the headers is
  at the routing, and poking things at delivery is -- cumbersome.

  I have thought of doing something _like_ it at least for smtp
  transport-agent (things that are needed at a list fanout processing
  at vger.kernel.org ...)

  What shall be put into the tag when the delivery is going thru
  a  .forward  derived pipe ? (e.g. vacation)

  Related activity is doing "Delivered-To:" header adding/bouncing
  when same destination appears twice..  E.g. there shall be user/alias
  which is driving the pipe, not the pipe command itself.

> --Arnt

/Matti Aarnio	<[email-masked]>
-
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe zmailer" in
the body of a message to [email-masked]

---

From: Arnt Gulbrandsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 16:06:49 +0200

Matti Aarnio <[email-masked]>
>   at the routing, and poking things at delivery is -- cumbersome.

Well, AFAICT during routing should be the right time. See below.

>   a  .forward  derived pipe ? (e.g. vacation)

At various points inside zmailer the address may have several diferent
forms, e.g. "((a b c d))". Those are all internal matters. The canonical
address (the one that's shown to the world in to/cc/from) is what should
be used in received too, unless there is a clear reason to use a different
address.

Put simply: The way I see my address in e.g. "From" is the same way I
should see it in "Received".

>   which is driving the pipe, not the pipe command itself.

Delivered-to sounds like different to me. If it's used by the transports
for string comparison, then the transport is the one that knows what
string should be put there.

I have to say, though, that meddling with header fields in the transports
sounds rather hacky.

--Arnt
-