Subject: SMTP/AUTH/TLS

From: John D Groenveld <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Aug 2002 11:49:34 -0400

I'm venturing into new territory, opening my MTA to external users.
I know I want to enable SMTP-AUTH, but its not clear to me whether
this option is all or nothing.

Can my clients on my internal network still relay thru w/o authenticating
or will I need to set up two mail servers?

Is this stuff documented anywhere other than smtpserver(8)?

Thanks,
John
[email-masked]

-
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe zmailer" in
the body of a message to [email-masked]

---

From: Matti Aarnio <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2002 19:36:20 +0300

> or will I need to set up two mail servers?

  If you define some static networks to be allowed to do relaying,
  then users from those networks don't need to authenticate themselves
  to the smtp-server (for relaying).   However if a user _anywhere_
  autenticates (preferrably under TLS protection to keep the plaintext
  password secret from snoopers), then that user is allowed to relay
  independent of what possible static rulesets say.

> Is this stuff documented anywhere other than smtpserver(8)?

  I almost said:

    http://www.zmailer.org/zman/zadm-smtpserver.html
    http://www.zmailer.org/zman/zref-smtpserver.html

  but the smtp-authentication has not made into those texts...

  A bit of it you can find at:   doc/guides/openssl  you may also
  want to use:  doc/guides/smtpauth-login-pam-support
  (The latter you find also in  smtpserver.8)

  Ahem, I tried to mumble some more notes into  smtpserver.8,
  you can see the lattest at:
     http://www.zmailer.org/man/smtpserver.8.html

> [email-masked]

/Matti Aarnio
-