Subject: message id handling

From: "Benjamin C.R. LaHaise" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2002 16:47:24 -0400 (EDT)

Hello,

Would it be possible to disable the insertion of a Message-Id: header into 
the headers of a received message?  I'm trying to filter out messages 
which do not contain the Message-Id: header, as it is a common spam 
footprint, and zmailer's helpful addition is a bit of a hindrance in this.

		-ben

-
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe zmailer" in
the body of a message to [email-masked]

---

From: James MacKinnon <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2002 15:05:10 -0600 (MDT)

in smtpserver/smtpdata.c (v 2.99.55), there is:

#ifdef USE_ANTISPAM_HACKS
        if (CISTREQN(linebuf, "Message-ID:", 11)) {
          /* Freeze any mail with no message id in the message-id header,
           * or a message id with obvious syntax errors, or message id
           * with junk after it. These are highly likely to be spam, though
           * they might only be a result of buggy software. (MS Exchange?)
           */

Is anyone actually using this define, and with any success?

-Jim

-- 
--
James S. MacKinnon           Office: P-139 Avadh-Bhatia Physics Lab
Team Physics                 Voice : (780) 492-8226 [old AC 403]
University of Alberta        email : [email-masked]
Edmonton, Canada T6G 2N5     WWW   : http://www.phys.ualberta.ca/

for all that we know the universe could cease to exist at any mo

-