Subject: local user capitalization problem.

From: Johnathan Thibodeau <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 13:27:10 -0400 (AST)

A couple of weeks ago I upgraded a machine to zmailer 2.99.55. Everything
appeared to be okay, until we started to notice bounced mail that had
been directed to a local user with capital letters in their username.
Somewhere, while processing the mail, zmailer would read the username as
all lower case. The router would route the mail properly, showing the
capital letters, but when the mail was read by scheduler, it would show up
as all small letters in mailq.

Now, it would be nice if all our users had lower case names, but sadly we
let them choose their own name on occasion. And despite any persuasion to
so otherwise, they sometime choose a name with capital letters.

I would really appreciate any help I can get. I've tried reading the
zmailer manual online, but so far I have yet to find anything of
relevance. I've been trying to get this system using zmailer 2.99.55 for a
while now.

Johnathan Thibodeau
Chebucto Community Net

-
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe zmailer" in
the body of a message to [email-masked]

---

From: Andy Poling <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 09:50:54 -0800 (PST)

> so otherwise, they sometime choose a name with capital letters.

Just say no.  You'll have no end of headaches.

Email addresses are (practically-speaking) case-insensitive, and you cannot
easily deal with that if your usernames are mixed case.

Force them all to all lower-case, and eliminate future headaches...

-Andy

-