Subject: Bounces with bogus DNS error messages

From: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2002 00:34:02 +0200

I'm observing Zmailer bouncing mails with bogus error messages since a
while.  The error messages all look like:

[...]
FAILED:
  Arrived Recipient:
      rfc822;[email-masked]
  Original Recipient:
      rfc822;[email-masked]
  Final Recipient:
      RFC822;[email-masked]
  Status:
      5.4.4 (DNS lookup report)
  Last Attempt Date:
      Thu, 15 Aug 2002 11:40:29 +0200
  X-ZTAID:
      smtp[5063]
  Diagnostic Code:
      ^M-> DNSreply: len=364 rcode=0 qd=1 an=1 ns=10 ar=4^M-> 80365s MX[0] p=10
+'mailin.snailmail.de'^M-> getaddrinfo(INET, 'mailin.snailmail.de','0') -> r=-2
+(Name or service not known); ai=%p^M-> No addresses for
+'mailin.snailmail.de'[0]^M-> nmx=1 maxpref=66000 realname=''^M=> NONE of MXes
+support SMTP!
  Control data:
      smtp foonet.de [email-masked] 99
  Diagnostic texts:
      -> DNSreply: len=364 rcode=0 qd=1 an=1 ns=10 ar=4
     -> 80365s MX[0] p=10 'mailin.snailmail.de'
     -> getaddrinfo(INET, 'mailin.snailmail.de','0') -> r=-2 (Name or service
+not known); ai=%p
     -> No addresses for 'mailin.snailmail.de'[0]
     -> nmx=1 maxpref=66000 realname=''
     => NONE of MXes support SMTP!
[...]

(Addresses have been changed in above example)

In all cases a manual verification of the DNS information found that
the nameserver of the machine running zmailer was returning information
including proper MX records and A records for all mail exchangers.

The machine in question is running the resolver from Redhat 7.2's
glibc 2.2.4 package and Zmailer 2.99.55 from CVS.

Another nit - obove error message contains actual ^M characters in the
bounce without accompaning \n characters.  That leaves propper display
of the error message in the hands of the MUA's creativity but will
hardly result in something nicely formatted ...

Thanks for any hints,

  Ralf
-
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe zmailer" in
the body of a message to [email-masked]

---

From: Matti Aarnio <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2002 18:23:10 +0300

> glibc 2.2.4 package and Zmailer 2.99.55 from CVS.

  In some  glibc versions the   gethostinfo()  calls are returning
  bogus data.  At vger.kernel.org  we are running with config option:
       --with-ipv6-replacement-libc
  because for a while the glibc there was updated to use the broken
  form.  Actually that is an error, and it has been fixed at least
  twice in glibc.  I don't know why it has crept back in..

  The error in question inside the glibc's  getaddrinfo()  is treating
  TIMEOUT same as NXDOMAIN, which it definitely is not.

> hardly result in something nicely formatted ...

  Hmm..  "Diagnostic Code", ok, I will see about that.

-- 
/Matti Aarnio	<[email-masked]>
-
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe zmailer" in
the body of a message to [email-masked]