Subject: Zmailer problem

From: "Luke Galea" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2002 13:51:38 -0400

I am having a problem with zmailer... we had approximately 120,000
emails queue up for sending in zmailer (anti-virus server was accepting
msgs too slowly).. (so I suppose they are all in the scheduler queue)..
All of a sudden it stopped sending any mails at all.

The server has a "max file handles limit of 8192 reached" message on the
console. A reboot appeared to fix the problem.. but a second reboot was
done and found it stopped sending again.

Very little is running on the server other than zmailer.. so my first
thought was that zmailer must be using up the filehandles.. (but only
sometimes??? Because after a reboot it worked perfectly..)..

Anyway.. now the box is not sending any mail at all and I hesitate to
continually reboot the box until it comes up okay... 

Has anyone else experienced this before?

Luke Galea 
Software Development
BlueCat Networks
905-762-5225

-
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe zmailer" in
the body of a message to [email-masked]

---

From: Matti Aarnio <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2002 21:08:18 +0300

> done and found it stopped sending again.

  You are not saying what the system is, I presume it is Linux from
  that message..

  You might need to tune your system resource settings up somewhat.

     echo 12000 > /proc/sys/fs/file-max

  If the situation repeats, add another about 4000 ...

> Has anyone else experienced this before?

  Yes.  I upped the file-max, and didn't reboot...

-- 
/Matti Aarnio	<[email-masked]>
-
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe zmailer" in
the body of a message to [email-masked]